Writing personal memoirs sounds easy, but many people start the process and never finish. A professional writing consultant can help ease the burden and confusion of writing your memoirs, and help turn it into an achievement you can enjoy and be proud to finish.
Why is Writing Memoirs Difficult?
It sounds simple, doesn’t it? Just write about your life. You know your life pretty well, after all – you lived it! All the major celebrities have written at least one book, including those celebrities who, quite frankly, don’t seem near as capable as you do. What many people don’t realize is that celebrities have a lot of help writing their own memoirs and various “advice” books. They either hire writing consultants of their own or hire a ghostwriter who does the writing for them.
Giving Too Much Information
Writing your own story can be difficult for the very reason you think it will be easy – you know it well. Knowing your own story so well is, obviously, an advantage because you have all the inside information. On the other hand, it can lead you to give too much information about things your audience is not interested in. Just because you find it interesting doesn’t mean that it is actually relevant to the overall goal of your book.
Not Giving Enough Information
Another mistake many people make when writing about their own experiences is skipping information. When we live through an experience, certain things just seem like “givens.” While there are a lot of things your audience can figure out for themselves, there are certain other detail you may leave out which will leave them scratching their heads.
Many people who sit down to write their personal memoirs give up part way through. Some don’t even leave the drawing board; others make it pretty far through the process but just aren’t able to bring themselves to the final sentence. I don’t have actual statistics to quote, here, but I am willing to bet that the number of people who give up greatly outweighs the number of people who actually complete the project.
Some of the reasons people get overwhelmed include:
- Not knowing where to begin
- Not being able to find an overall vision for the book
- Getting stuck in one part of the story or another
- Difficulty facing emotional stories
- Confusion over what is relevant and what is not
- Unsure how to organize information into a book format
How Can a Writing Consultant Help You Write Your Book?
Well, before we can really get into the details of how a consultant can help, we should discuss what a consultant is. As the name may give away, a consultant is someone you talk to and bounce ideas off of who gives you advice from time to time and helps you stay on track.
With that in mind, let’s look at a few of the ways that a consultant can help and what he or she will do to help you.
A Writing Consultant Will Help You:
- Figure out the goals of your book.
- Figure out a plotline of your life which is relevant to the goals of your book.
- Keep information, ideas and goals organized.
- Help you develop a writing plan.
- Ask the hard questions that keep you honest.
- Play the role of your reader to help you find gaps in information.
- Keep you on track.
- Serve as someone to bounce ideas off of.
- Help you organize content into a cohesive storyline with appropriate foreshadowing and flashbacks.
- Figure out where your story should begin and end.